Is it possible to pack under 7 kilos every time you are traveling? I think yes. For inspiration check out my minimalist packing list below!
Long term traveling has changed me in several ways. And one of the new things I have learned during these last two years of traveling is – how little we people really need. In the article “Leave your big backpack at home when going to Southeast Asia” I explain our thinking, why you should be traveling light, especially when going to this part of the world.
But it’s not only about Southeast Asia. It’s the same for most of the world and for most of the time.
Well, of course, during the winter in Europe it will be harder to pack in 7 kilos (15.4 pounds) or less. But it’s definitively possible to travel with carry on only in Europe, and also during the winter.
Let’s look into my backpack!
My packing list! (ready for 0 C to + 50 C) – Updated in January 2017
Clothing – Minimalist packing list
- 3 cotton t-shirts for daily use,
- 2 pairs of shorts (one are light and quickly drying Speedo shorts),
- 1 synthetic long sleeve mostly for hiking,
- 2 pairs of socks,
- 1 pair of slippers,
- 2 underpants,
- Columbia rain jacket,
- 1 Nevica skuff – my scarf, face mask and hat – all in one,
- 1 swimming trunks.
Toiletries – Minimalist packing list
- hand sanitizer (optional),
- small microfiber towel,
- tooth brush,
- nail scissors,
- (I’m buying shampoo & shower gel, when we arrive).
Gadgets – Minimalist packing list
- 11″ Asus EeeBook X205TA laptop (optional),
- iPad Mini (optional),
- chargers for computer, phone and iPad,
- hard disk drive and 2x 8GB USB memory sticks (optional),
- international travel adapter,
- electronics organizer, where to put it all in (optional),
- waterproof folder with passport into it,
- waterproof folder for any other documents,
- rain-cover for my backpack,
- some basic medicine – painkillers, anti diarrhea medication, band aids,
- 10 liter dry bag (sometimes I us it as my small extra luggage – “hand bag”) (optional),
- water bottle,
What would be on me — underpants, light trousers, socks, Salomon Speedcross 3 trail running shoes, that I use for walking and hiking, t-shirt, hoodie, wallet, smartphone, waist bag.
That’s it – pack like me and you will be ready to go on a 1, 3 or 6 months long trip! Or – a year long trip! Or 2 year! Think about it this way – things you need for a 1 year backpacking trip are the same things you need for a 2 week vacation overseas.
Of course, after some time something will wear out, will be lost or broken. That’s how it happens. But then you will just change it.
Are you now ready to travel with one bag only? Yes? Check out this article to learn how to choose the best carry on backpack for yourself!
Author: Kaspars Misins
Kaspars is a long term traveler and travel blogger from Latvia. He loves going on long walks, reading non fiction books and spending time outdoors. Together with his girlfriend Una they are traveling – volunteering – working abroad since 2013. On WeAreFromLatvia.com they share their experience and things learned along the way.