Is it possible to pack under 7 kilos every time you are traveling? I think yes. For inspiration check out my minimalist packing list below!
Long term traveling has changed me in several ways. And one of the new things I have learned during these years of traveling is – how little we people really need. In the article “Leave your big backpack at home when going to Southeast Asia” I explain our thinking, why you should be traveling light, especially when going to this part of the world. But it’s not only about Southeast Asia. It’s the same for most of the world and for most of the time.
And, as I have seen myself, it doesn’t really depend on the length of the trip. You can go on a 2 month trip with the same stuff you are bringing with you on a 2 week vacation. Really! You need less, than you think you need!
Well, of course, during the winter in Europe it will be harder to pack in 7 kilos (15.4 pounds) or less. But it’s definitively possible to travel with a carry on bag only in Europe, and also during the winter.
OK, let’s look at my packing list!
My Packing List (for 0 C to + 50 C)
What would be on me — underwear, light pants, socks, comfortable shoes, that I use for walking and hiking (probably – hiking shoes or trail running shoes), a t-shirt, a hoodie or fleece, a quality rain jacket, a wallet, a smartphone, a fanny pack. So these items I’m not including in the list below, because I will not be putting them in my backpack.
1. Minimalist Packing List: Clothing, Shoes and Accessories
- 3 cotton t-shirts for daily use,
- 1-2 pairs of shorts (one are light and quick-drying Speedo shorts),
- 1-2 thermal long sleeves mostly for hiking,
- 2 pairs of socks,
- 1 pair of flip flops,
- 2 underpants,
- 1 buff/bandana – my scarf, face mask and hat – all in one,
- 1 swimming trunks,
- 1 pair of sunglasses,
- Rain cover for my backpack,
- Water bottle,
- Waterproof folder for my passport, phone and wallet,
Optional: thermal pants, waterproof pants, 10 liter dry bag (sometimes I use it as my small personal item, other times I put it in my backpack).
2. Minimalist Packing List: Toiletries & Medicine
- small microfiber towel,
- toothpaste & tooth brush,
- nail scissors or clippers,
- pack of tissues,
- some basic medicine – painkillers, anti-diarrhea medication, band aids,
- (I’m buying shampoo & shower gel, when I arrive).
Optional: hand sanitizer liquid, wet wipes, sunscreen.
3. Minimalist packing list: Electronics
- tablet, in my situation – iPad Mini – my main device for internet, entertainment and reading,
- memory stick,
- international travel power adapter,
- chargers and batteries for all your electronics.
Optional: a laptop (I’m traveling mostly with my laptop, because I’m traveling long term and I’m also working when traveling), an external hard drive, electronics organizer (I have one, when I’m taking a hard drive, a GoPro and some more gear with me), a power bank.
That’s it – pack like me and you will be ready to go on a 1, 3 or 6 month-long trip! Or – a year-long trip! Or 2 year!
Of course, after some time something will wear out, will be lost or broken. That’s how it happens. But then you will just change it. As simple as that!
Read More About Packing:
Backpacking Packing List – our full gear list for all kind of trips. Get ready for your worldwide adventures!
Annapurna Circuit Trek Packing List for All Seasons – how to pack for a 2-3 week hike in the mountains? Read this article and learn from our experience!
Are you now ready to travel with one bag only?
Author: Kaspars Misins
Kaspars is a long term traveler and a travel blogger from Latvia. He loves going on long walks, reading non fiction books and spending time outdoors. Together with his girlfriend Una they have been traveling – volunteering – working abroad since 2013. On We Are From Latvia they share their experience and things learned along the way.